I have been programming in various languages for over fifteen years. In that time, I’ve written just about every class of software around. I’ve developed Web, server, client, embedded, mobile, and desktop applications.
Writing software is my passion. Whether I’ve been employed in security, system administration, Web design, or even as ski resort worker; I’ve been making software constantly since I was 15 years old.
Much more than just language, development is all about the design, requirements gathering, and implementation of projects. These are some projects I’ve enjoyed working on over the years.
Open Source Projects
- Ansible [Contributor]
- Configuration management and automation framework written in Python. I contributed the Amazon Web Services VPC module along with other minor contributions.
- pytest-pylint [Creator]
- Pytest plugin for running pylint on your project automatically and incorporate the results into unit tests.
- edX [Contributor]
- Open source learning management system for next generation online education. Core contributions to edx-platform and configuration repositories.
- archelon [Creator]
- Bash application with Web/Elastic Search backend for tracking and search shell histories across multiple hosts/users.
- Superpedestrian Jenkins Pipeline Tools' [Creator]
- A set of groovy includes and shell scripts to create ElasticBeanstalk deployments, build docker images, tag releases, and do A/B environment swaps using Jenkins new Pipeline flows.
- XsiftX [Creator]
- Enhancement application for the edX platform that allows system administrators and course teams the ability to run arbitrary scripts against course data (through command line or LTI/Web interface) and have the results delivered to their course's dashboard.
- Formunculous [Creator/Maintainer]
- A Python/Django based application for creating and managing Web forms using a simple drag and drop based interface. It also has great form submission review facilities that include CSV exports and graphs of form responses.
- Powershell Framework [Creator/Maintainer]
- The Powershell Framework makes running Powershell scripts simple. It provides a means of interactively or non-interactively running scripts in a simple manner. It provides a form based interface to browse and run scripts, and a clean framework for writing multithreaded GUI runnable scripts.
Closed Source Projects
In addition to public open source software contributions, I have worked as developer on several projects as a contractor and full time employee. Here are some of the highlights:
- Backend application for handling large amounts of sensor data from mobile apps.
- Set of manufacturing scripts for linking inventory, shipping, and updating Web backend.
- E-commerce system for managing event registration fees.
- Major update to a Web application for the planning, approval, and recording of milestones towards getting a graduate degree.
- Custom content management suites, calendars, and product gallery applications for clients.
- Web based Project management application for multi-team time and task tracking.
- Custom e-commerce applications for various clients.
- Human resources Web application for managing applicants, interviews, notes, etc. Primarily targeted at recruiters and head hunters.
- Desktop application for team based logging of current activities by each team member.
- LynxOS embedded software research project for automated content scrubbing for aircraft control systems and classified information handling systems.
- Early Cisco VoIP desk phone application prototyping.
Here is a laundry list of the languages I have learned and used over the years. I currently prefer Python and Java for software, and Powershell for Windows shell scripting, but I still regularly use most of these languages.
Web Languages and Frameworks
- C and C++